How to keep cut flowers looking good longer
There is nothing like fresh and beautiful flowers placed in gorgeous vases around your home. They make any room smell fresh and feel homely. Sadly, the life expectancy of cut flowers isn’t as long as most of us would like.
We have compiled a short list of tips on how to keep your cut bunch looking good for longer.
1. Cut flower stems at an angle to prevent the stem resting on the bottom of the vase and sealing over.
2. Strip any foliage from stems that will sit below water level in a vase as these will decay and become slimy.
3. Make sure your vase is clean as bacteria can thrive in dirty vases which will reduce the life of your flowers.
4. Consider where you place your flowers, placing them in direct sun or close to draught or heat will minimise their life span.
5. Add some bleach and sugar to water. Adding a tiny drop of bleach will reduce bacteria growth and a small amount of sugar will nourish your flowers.